Skip to main content

Dr Choi : A "die-as-late-as-you-can" Doctor!

Am in my early thirties and an Indian by birth. It goes without saying that I would have met or consulted umpteen physicians, surgeons, doctors. All of them whom I've so far come across can be categorized as Type A - Conventional, perfectionist physicians. And until 2 years ago, I thought there is only that category Type A that exists and there isn't any other, ever. [when I say category of Doctors, am sure all of us know there are million "gists" - gynecologists, dermatologists, neurologists and so on..but what am referring to is from a common patient's standpoint, categories within general, common medical practitioners]. I changed my perception when I met Dr Choi a couple of years back. He obviously belonged to "type i", a new type that I've come across!

So, what, Dr Choi is all about? He is a man who's, I think, in his late 30's. When I met him for the first time, I met him because he was the only Dr available on Saturdays in the clinic that's in my proximity. My first interaction I still remember was a disaster. This is how it started:

Dr : Hey, so you are Mr Prakash(looking at my case file), how can I help you today?

Me: Dr, I have symptoms of cold, cough and fever.

Dr: Am not sure whether I can help you with that. But am sure you could; have you tried to help yourselves?

Me: Yes Dr, I did, I took Tylenol for cough and cold, I feel a little better but I still want to consult you to make sure I don't have any infections

Dr: Ok, even if you find that you have some symptoms of infection am going to ask you to continue what you did before coming to me! After all you are not going to die of cold..one in a million people do, though!
So what do you think from that quick excerpt from our first conversation..I don't know what you think, but let me tell you what I thought. I thought he's a Dr with a negative attitude, a disciplinarian or may be he is indifferent in the sense that he doesn't bother the number patients that register with him...

But my subsequent acquaintances changed my impression. I realized his approach is very meaningful and he reads people and decide how best he can influence them. Here's another excerpt from one my recent conversations:

Me: Am obese and how much ever I starve I don't seem lose weight
Dr : You aren't obese but you are over-weight; Don't starve, eat as much fruits and vegetables and eat as little as carbohydrate, starch and fat.
[He described with examples about each of these.]
This is just a Dr's advice, you don't have to take it as such; If you want to live longer you follow this otherwise if you don't want give up things that you like the most, please do what you really want to. I know sugar isn't good, but I don't want to live life without sweets. No one can live for ever however health lifestyle they stick on to. But all we are trying to do is prolong our healthy portion of our life as much as we can.

It sounded different and more meaningful to me to hear that from a Dr. Why should Doctors always sing the "never-ever-go-near-sugar & salt" tune? That too for people who are knowledgeable, educated and aware like us, I mean this new generation. To me, Dr Choi was sounding clear in terms of explaining, what is good, what is bad and how I can choose the perfect balance between these two so that I can enjoy my life too.He is very clear while making this point: There's no point living a perfect, 100% health conscious life without enjoying your whims and fancies within reasonable limits.

So, I think, Doctors of this new age should be preachers of practical well being that makes people aware and not scare. He sometimes sound very blunt and blatant, but what do I mean by that? When he finds that you are concerned about stuff that you shouldn't be concerned about, he makes it very clear to you: "Don't worry it ain't cancer! You wouldn't die of these symptoms!" He's offensively clamorous to the purpose that you are worrying about things you don't really have to.

Another thing I observe, he always gives you many options and informs you on each of those options and lets you tell him which option we want him to take. Is this ridiculous? As a Dr shouldn't he pick the best one of the options he has; Wouldn't we be confused with such a plethora of choices thrown at us especially when we are sick? But think about it. He has a few options, each one has pros and cons. All our "jack-of-all trades" physicists decide one as if they are the best decision makers. But really, aren't you the best one to decide on yourself? So DrChoi, lets you the decision maker. Wow..what an empowerment? I think DrChoi introduces "prosumerism" in healthcare.

But Shouldn't doctors be very positive? Shouldn't they make their patients motivated to live by soothing and comforting words exaggerated beyond logical limits; To me, I think we know such standard patterns and we are bored of all that; Being the fore-runners of this internet age, we are all very practical people, aren't we? But is DrChoi only for young, open minded people?; no he takes people by their genre, he speaks to my daughter in a different tone, he talks to my wife differently. I think he knows how he can handle people. I definitely think we need more such DrChoi's who can empower you with medical facts and accurate observations and at the same time advise you to lead the life the way you want to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

நாகர்கோயில் சுதர்சன் ஜவுளிக் கடையிலிருந்து சுரா எனும் இலக்கிய பேராண்மை

(பேராண்மை = prowess அல்லது அருந்திறம் என்ற பொருள் கொள்க)   நாகர்கோவில் மணிமேடை சந்திப்பு (Tower Junction) எனது சிறுவதிலேயே பரிச்சயமான ஒன்று . அங்குள்ள சுதர்சன் ஜவுளி கடையும் மிகப் பரிச்சயமான ஸ்தாபனம் . எனது 44 - ஆவது வயதில் எனை ஒரு புதிய தமிழிலக்கிய வாசகன் என சொல்லிக்கொள்ளக் கூச்சப்பட வைக்கும் விஷயம் , சுதர்சன் உரிமையாளர் மற்றும் தமிழ் கூறும் நல்லுலகின் இலக்கிய பேராற்றல் , நவீன படைப்பிலக்கிய மேதை , சிந்தனையாளர் காலம் சென்ற சுந்தர ராமசாமி அவர்களை தெரியாமலிருந்ததும் அவரின் படைப்புகளில் ஒன்றைக் கூட அறியாமலிருந்தும் தான் .   சுரா பற்றிய ஜெயமோகனின் பேச்சுக்களை கேட்ட பிறகு ஒரு புளியமரத்தின் கதை நாவலை வாங்கி படித்தேன் . சொல்லத்தகுந்த சிந்தனை நீட்சிகளையோ   படைப்பிலக்கியவாதியின் அனுபவத்தைக் வாசகனுக்கு கடத்தும் வித்தையையோ அந்த வாசிப்பனுபவம் எனக்கு தர வில்லை என்ற போதிலும் இது ஒரு சாதாரண , எனக்கு இது வரையிலும் பரிச்சயமான மொழி நடையையோ கதையின் களத்தை , அது நடந்த காலச்சூழலை , அதன் கதாபாத்திரங்களை மிதமிஞ்சிய சொ

சிதம்பர நினைவுகள் – வாசிப்பனுபவம்

பாலச்சந்திரன் சுள்ளிக்காடு என்ற மலையாள கவியை ஒரு சினிமா மற்றும் தொலைக்காட்சி நடிகன் என்ற அளவில் மாத்திரமே அறிமுகம். எங்களூர் எழுத்தாளரான ராம் தங்கத்தின் எழுத்துக்களை பிரசரித்த வம்சி புக்ஸ் நிறுவனம் வெளியிட்டதால் இந்த நூல் எனது வாசிக்கும் பட்டியலில் சேர்ந்தது. இதற்கு முன் Paulo Coelho வின் The Alchemist மற்றும் கல்பட்டா நாராயணன்   போன்ற சிலரின் மொழி பெயர்ப்புகளையே படித்துள்ளேன் . இதனை படித்து முடிக்கையில் Florida- வின் Miami நகரத்திலிருந்து Costa Rica- வின் Liberia வை நோக்கிய விமான பயணத்தில் பறந்து கொண்டிருந்தேன்.   படிக்க படிக்க மனித வாழ்க்கையின் மகோன்னதமான சில அனுபவங்களை, நேர்மையும், தன்னிலை சறுக்கல்களை மறைக்காத உண்மை உணர்வும் மேலோங்கிய கவி நேர்த்தி மிக்க கட்டுரைகளில் கரைந்து போனேன். Dr Paul Kalanithi- யின் When Breath Becomes Air - க்கு பிறகு, ஒரு நூலை படித்து என் கண்கள் குளமாகி போகும் உணர்ச்சி மேலிட்ட மனோநிலையில் ததும்பி வழிந்தேன். வானூர்தியின் சாளரத்துக்கு பக்கத்திலமர்ந்து    சினிமா பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்த என் மனைவியை தாண்டி வெளியே பார்க்கையில், அடர்த்தியான கரு மேக

நீந்திக் கிழித்தல்

  ஏன் எந்த விளையாட்டு உபகரணமும் என் கையாடலில் உடைந்து அல்லது கிழிந்து போகின்றன ?   1. சிறு வயதில் , சுசீந்திரம் கிராம பஞ்சாயத்து அலுவலக வளாகத்தில் கிரிக்கெட் bat உடைந்து போயிற்று 2. கிட்டத்தட்ட நாற்பதை நெருங்கும் வயதில் , கனடாவில் குடியேறிய பொழுதில் நண்பர் கார்த்தியுடன் ஆவேசமான டென்னிஸ் ஆட்டத்தில் ( ஒற்றயர் ஆட்டம் - எனக்கோ , நண்பருக்கோ விசேஷ டென்னிஸ்   பயிற்சி எதுவும் வாய்த்திருக்க வில்லை ) டென்னிஸ் Racquet - ஐ     உடைத்தாயிற்று 3. சில மாதங்களுக்கு முன்பு விலைகூடிய Badminton Racuqet ஒன்றை உடன் விளையாடும் நண்பரோடு விளைந்த எதிர்பாரா முட்டலில் (collission) உடைத்தாயிற்று 4. சில தினங்களுக்கு முன் Costa Rica- வின் Tamarindo   பசிபிக் கடற்கரையின் மிதமான அலைகளில் உருண்டு புரண்டு ஓடிக் களிக்கையில் ஏன் நீச்சல் கால் சட்டை கிழிந்து போயிற்று . பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்த   என் மனைவி ஏதோ Bollywood காதல் ஜோடிகளைக் கண்ணுற்ற வட இந்திய பத்திரிகையாளனை போல தாராளமாக படம் பிடித்து கொண்டாடினாள் . (புகைப்படம் கீழே )   எந்த வினைக