Skip to main content

Reading Notes : Inner Engineering - A Yogi's Guide to JOY

Though I am not onboard with "someone who calls himself as Sadhguru" type practice, I never was able to come up with a logical anti-argument on any points/ideas that Mr Jaggi brings about in his speech and interviews. Infact there are many points for which, I could only get logical explanations from Mr Jaggi on some of the preached practices in India. The most recent example was "why beef eating is seen as a less-human act" and his explanation to that kind of made sense. One idea that I could never buy into whole-heartedly, was this concept of  "Inner Engineering". Due to the lack of knowledge or lack of evidence that it would work and it's a viable practice. I was keenly following on this topic, as frankly I fancy being able to sit in a place, controlling and cultivating my inner energies for hours not knowing the time is passing by. It's that curiosity that made me do two things in addition to watching all his speeches on the topic.
1. Enrol for a free Isha webinar
2. Read this book

I will start by admitting that I couldn't get to know the "know-how" on Inner Engineering or whether it would work for me after reading this. I understand that these two steps are like teasers to make one register for those Inner Engineering courses. After carefully establishing these programs and marketing them with world-class marketing tools, one would obviously want to get the return on investment and not give these away for free or cheap, which is fair enough. Now my notes on my reading experience :

Mr Jaggi starts with his magical experience in Chamundi Hills and I did look up on his Yoga guru - Maladihalli swamy but he barely has one hundredth of the media or public attention that Mr Jaggi has got. He goes on to establish that if we look inward (kriya) we can find more control, again it's theoretical until one experiences it. He talks about physical boundaries and being a garden enthusiast myself,  I tried the Sadhana that he suggests - "sit in front of plant and do inhale-exhale" - I did try it several times, it's definitely a feel-good thing. I am a true admirer of nature and especially the plants and I love gardening and I can spend hours gardening and spending with my plants. So, in this case, I am a heavily biased subject.

He goes on to talk about our body and there were few simple ideas that were very enlightening. He talks about why human bodies are designed for non-meat diet based on the length of the intestines of herbivores and carnivores. It was very fascinating and I looked up to do some fast research on the web and there are many supporting material :
How humans are not physically created to eat meat
Shattering The Meat Myth: Humans Are Natural Vegetarians
Human Ancestors Were Nearly All Vegetarians

There were too many as you would find references on the topic and I carefully ignored a good number of sources like "PETA websites" etc, which are obviously biased. Still I could find a good number of articles supporting Mr Jaggi's viewpoint. Till date, for the first time, I thought I should try and be a vegetarian (if not vegan) for my well being. One of the suggested Sadhana's in this book that I am yet to try is to go on "natural plant and vegetables/fruit based, uncooked diet for few days in a row", I would like to try this at some point soon (and seeking my wife's company on this which is like asking a fish to take a stroll on a concrete street, LOL!!!)

Another great explanation is around "fasting every 14 days" traditionally suggested by Hinduism as "Ekadashi fasting" and why on 3 days in a Mandala(48 days), we don't need any food. For the past 2 months, I have started observing Ekadashi fasts (but not "Nir-jal" -  I still drink plain water and only thing that eat is before bed I take a banana and glass of milk). It does give me some level of physical comfort. I don't know if it's a biased feeling or true sense, I will figure this out shortly. But one thing is for sure, it definitely keeps my body weight in check.

There is also good level of discussion on "Energies" and how the energies can be consecrated in sculptures etc (linga), I have heard these arguments before in the context of why we should worship in temples when God is omnipresent. I am yet to try the suggested Sadhana of drawing a geometric form in rice flour and light a lamp to see the positive energy spread. I will certainly do and probably that's the only way I will try to get a sense of this theory.

It's a very good, enjoyable read. But my expectation of it to be an "be-all and end-all of Inner Engineering" was only wishful :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

நீந்திக் கிழித்தல்

  ஏன் எந்த விளையாட்டு உபகரணமும் என் கையாடலில் உடைந்து அல்லது கிழிந்து போகின்றன ?   1. சிறு வயதில் , சுசீந்திரம் கிராம பஞ்சாயத்து அலுவலக வளாகத்தில் கிரிக்கெட் bat உடைந்து போயிற்று 2. கிட்டத்தட்ட நாற்பதை நெருங்கும் வயதில் , கனடாவில் குடியேறிய பொழுதில் நண்பர் கார்த்தியுடன் ஆவேசமான டென்னிஸ் ஆட்டத்தில் ( ஒற்றயர் ஆட்டம் - எனக்கோ , நண்பருக்கோ விசேஷ டென்னிஸ்   பயிற்சி எதுவும் வாய்த்திருக்க வில்லை ) டென்னிஸ் Racquet - ஐ     உடைத்தாயிற்று 3. சில மாதங்களுக்கு முன்பு விலைகூடிய Badminton Racuqet ஒன்றை உடன் விளையாடும் நண்பரோடு விளைந்த எதிர்பாரா முட்டலில் (collission) உடைத்தாயிற்று 4. சில தினங்களுக்கு முன் Costa Rica- வின் Tamarindo   பசிபிக் கடற்கரையின் மிதமான அலைகளில் உருண்டு புரண்டு ஓடிக் களிக்கையில் ஏன் நீச்சல் கால் சட்டை கிழிந்து போயிற்று . பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்த   என் மனைவி ஏதோ Bollywood காதல் ஜோடிகளைக் கண்ணுற்ற வட இந்திய பத்திரிகையாளனை போல தாராளமாக படம் பிடித்து கொண்டாடினாள் . (புகைப்படம் கீழே )   எந்த வினைக

சிதம்பர நினைவுகள் – வாசிப்பனுபவம்

பாலச்சந்திரன் சுள்ளிக்காடு என்ற மலையாள கவியை ஒரு சினிமா மற்றும் தொலைக்காட்சி நடிகன் என்ற அளவில் மாத்திரமே அறிமுகம். எங்களூர் எழுத்தாளரான ராம் தங்கத்தின் எழுத்துக்களை பிரசரித்த வம்சி புக்ஸ் நிறுவனம் வெளியிட்டதால் இந்த நூல் எனது வாசிக்கும் பட்டியலில் சேர்ந்தது. இதற்கு முன் Paulo Coelho வின் The Alchemist மற்றும் கல்பட்டா நாராயணன்   போன்ற சிலரின் மொழி பெயர்ப்புகளையே படித்துள்ளேன் . இதனை படித்து முடிக்கையில் Florida- வின் Miami நகரத்திலிருந்து Costa Rica- வின் Liberia வை நோக்கிய விமான பயணத்தில் பறந்து கொண்டிருந்தேன்.   படிக்க படிக்க மனித வாழ்க்கையின் மகோன்னதமான சில அனுபவங்களை, நேர்மையும், தன்னிலை சறுக்கல்களை மறைக்காத உண்மை உணர்வும் மேலோங்கிய கவி நேர்த்தி மிக்க கட்டுரைகளில் கரைந்து போனேன். Dr Paul Kalanithi- யின் When Breath Becomes Air - க்கு பிறகு, ஒரு நூலை படித்து என் கண்கள் குளமாகி போகும் உணர்ச்சி மேலிட்ட மனோநிலையில் ததும்பி வழிந்தேன். வானூர்தியின் சாளரத்துக்கு பக்கத்திலமர்ந்து    சினிமா பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்த என் மனைவியை தாண்டி வெளியே பார்க்கையில், அடர்த்தியான கரு மேக

நாகர்கோயில் சுதர்சன் ஜவுளிக் கடையிலிருந்து சுரா எனும் இலக்கிய பேராண்மை

(பேராண்மை = prowess அல்லது அருந்திறம் என்ற பொருள் கொள்க)   நாகர்கோவில் மணிமேடை சந்திப்பு (Tower Junction) எனது சிறுவதிலேயே பரிச்சயமான ஒன்று . அங்குள்ள சுதர்சன் ஜவுளி கடையும் மிகப் பரிச்சயமான ஸ்தாபனம் . எனது 44 - ஆவது வயதில் எனை ஒரு புதிய தமிழிலக்கிய வாசகன் என சொல்லிக்கொள்ளக் கூச்சப்பட வைக்கும் விஷயம் , சுதர்சன் உரிமையாளர் மற்றும் தமிழ் கூறும் நல்லுலகின் இலக்கிய பேராற்றல் , நவீன படைப்பிலக்கிய மேதை , சிந்தனையாளர் காலம் சென்ற சுந்தர ராமசாமி அவர்களை தெரியாமலிருந்ததும் அவரின் படைப்புகளில் ஒன்றைக் கூட அறியாமலிருந்தும் தான் .   சுரா பற்றிய ஜெயமோகனின் பேச்சுக்களை கேட்ட பிறகு ஒரு புளியமரத்தின் கதை நாவலை வாங்கி படித்தேன் . சொல்லத்தகுந்த சிந்தனை நீட்சிகளையோ   படைப்பிலக்கியவாதியின் அனுபவத்தைக் வாசகனுக்கு கடத்தும் வித்தையையோ அந்த வாசிப்பனுபவம் எனக்கு தர வில்லை என்ற போதிலும் இது ஒரு சாதாரண , எனக்கு இது வரையிலும் பரிச்சயமான மொழி நடையையோ கதையின் களத்தை , அது நடந்த காலச்சூழலை , அதன் கதாபாத்திரங்களை மிதமிஞ்சிய சொ