Skip to main content

Year 2014 – Retrospectives

The year 2014 was a great year, marked by several milestones in our personal and professional lives. For the very first time, we joined a Toronto based Tamil forum, to celebrate Pongal Celebration this year and as our friends supported and encouraged, Unni Maya performed `Karagattam  - a Tamil folk dance form with a group of kids. This was very first stage dance performance (serious one).


The winter this time was one of it’s kind. Not just since we immigrated to Canada but since the past 35 years reports say this this winter was the worst ever since. We experienced bone-chilling temperatures upto -45deg C and also witnessed a rare occurrence (so far) called an Ice rain. It left many parts of the GTA powerless and we had power gone for a day. It brought several trees down and costed the City and all the GTA municipalities millions of dollars to restore normalcy.

As temperatures, dipped below -20Deg C in the nights, we experienced another phenomenon called Cryoseism or Frost Quake. This is all about water seeping underground getting frozen and the expansion causes a quake like phenomenon with loud thunder-like sounds.

But came the Spring season, my father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister and my niece along with friend Prasanna`s family visited us. We had a great time and enjoyed their company thoroughly; it was like re-living those Valasaravakkam days. Though it was still spring and we had mild temperatures, the kids enjoyed their time here. Boxgrove home was full to it`s capacity, literally. Shanthi drew out a comprehensive plan and organized it greatly. Neighbours and friends were very helpful as always. This time I decided to do the lawn care myself. I was largely successful and took good care of the lawn.

May 2014 marked a milestone in my professional life. My persuasive effort to come out of my 7 years long assignment bore fruit. My boss helped me to a great deal and he indeed came out of his way and ensured I had a smooth exit. It was a big decision, but an overdue one, I left my previous team with a really heavy heart, not just because I had developed a personal bonding with the team and the clients. It was because I felt that I didn`t pass the baton to a confidante who would protect the interests of my team and their aspirations. I always believed in taking good care of the team so that they would feel safe and remain focussed on delivering and contributing. That`s simply how I built a strong team of skillful associates each of them had spent as much as time I had spent in the team. We together created a record of consistently high Say/Do record and 100% Customer Satisfaction scope for 4 years in a row. While I have won several appreciations and award throughout my career,   I cherish the farewell trophy from this team as the best one. It read `Dharan Prakash – Best Manager, AD team` - It`s in my living room and turns me on every time I give it a glance.


For the very first time, I got an opportunity to work for a Banking client. It`s a great opportunity to work for a business-critical IT currency program that had a cross-channel impact and it was Canada`s one of the leading financial houses. Suddenly every aspect of my professional life changed – my boss, fellow members, logistics, commute, the work culture etc etc. I had to put in some crazy hours to get myself established amidst a huge IT team. But it was all learning, I got into that flow, every day, every call, every meeting, every email had to be put forth with a newbie`s cautiousness and many of them invited criticism – stood through it and managed my first assignment well to be picked up for a second and my current assignment by the same client. It`s another multi-channel engagement and one of the biggest programs I have ever worked for next to UK`s NHS. Though it required a lot of commuting time, I had to give my gym membership and make some other adjustments in our overall schedule. Shanthi as usual was a pillar of support, cooperating in every which way she could.

Irrespective me taking up a new assignment and being super-busy, we had a very active summer this time. I had regretted that the 2013 summer wasn`t that good mainly due to the loss in the family and we were still coming out of the shock. This year we had several long drives, tried our hands on fishing and participated in several summer events across the city and for the very first time tried Camping. I must say that it was truly amazing and we came out recharged and rejuvenated.

Shanthi was pursuing her career in Customer Service space while trying out jobs in Accounting, IT and financial sectors. Towards the end of the year she took up an internship opportunity in a startup Digital Services firm and now this is her second month into the job. She had a steep learning curve and worked hard to learn stuff and very much motivated to return to IT which is her academic stream.

Unni Maya did very well but we have a mixed feeling about her progress this year. She has seen so far 3 class teachers and she is at times confused and overwhelmed. She regained her Skating skills this year and had a few groups music concerts this year. She is growing up faster than we thought and it`s interesting and I heard it`s rare now a days, atlease in this part of the world to have a teenage daughter or son while you are under 40. In a couple of years, Unni will become a teenager and we strive heard to support her, groom her and lead her into a successful career and life thereafter. 

Several historical events happened in India as well. After a couple of decades, a central government took over with absolute majority. India succeeded in it’s first ever Mars mission.

Towards the end of the year, on 29th Nov, we became Citizens of Canada J We wrapped up the year with a great X’mas season – had a wonderful X’mas party in the neighbourhood and this time we chose to buy gifts for people whom we seldom consider. We tried it and it gave us warmth and satisfaction. Shanthi chose to buy something for the friend at the Hakka restaurant we usually visit and he always treats us with warm geniality. I chose to buy one for my regular hairstylist for the past 7 years. J J We would like to continue this. Next year Shanthi wants to gift the City guys who helps with garbage disposal on our streets. We wrapped up the X'mas season with an in-house De-cluttering initiative and spend about 15 hours doing it and disposed a truck load of unwanted stuff in a responsible way. So definitely, the New Year is clutter-less for us. 

Here`s a quick assessment on my 2014 Resolutions and Goals 

#FFF Body weight - 70kg - 75kg - Achieve and maintain
Ahhh – missed it terribly. Most part of the year, I was not going to the Gym, I took the excuse of work pressure and new work environment to eat like crazy and developed some sort of irregular diet habits.

#Learn4life Read atleast 10 non-fiction books
Perfectly accomplished. It’s not just these books (see below) that I read. 2 hours of everyday commute gave me a plenty of time to read and listen. I have listened to and watched several hours of TED talks and life-style lectures as that of Robin Sharma, Isha Jaggi Vasudev, Simon Sinek and so on.


#Learn4life Target 2 professional certifications
Thumbs down; didn’t take even the initiative; Whatever spare time I had where I wanted to learn, I spent time in knowing more about the new domain / client’s business background etc. Not an acceptable excuse, but really need to motivate myself on this one.

#Career Significant change the "what, where, how" of my work life
Super-accomplished! If you want me to pick one significant change in the year 2014, I would pick this. As I had elaborated above, gave up my role, team and the pet assignment that held me for the past 7 years to grab this exciting new assignment at a Bank downtown. J J

#austerity No new clothes this year
Fail, fail, utter failure. My wardrobe was full of over-sized garments and weren’t enough to support my urge of how I want to present myself. Started with a suit and kept adding on; I have no regrets as “often Apparel proclaims the man” J J

#Family Quality time, every day to be spent with @Chellabuski and @UnniMaaya
It won’t be fair for me to assess my accomplishment on this myself hence asked both my wife and daughter. Both of them are of the opinion that I have improved on this J And both of them don’t buy into my idea of improving on this as an annual resolution. 

 Here are my goals for the New Year



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

நீந்திக் கிழித்தல்

  ஏன் எந்த விளையாட்டு உபகரணமும் என் கையாடலில் உடைந்து அல்லது கிழிந்து போகின்றன ?   1. சிறு வயதில் , சுசீந்திரம் கிராம பஞ்சாயத்து அலுவலக வளாகத்தில் கிரிக்கெட் bat உடைந்து போயிற்று 2. கிட்டத்தட்ட நாற்பதை நெருங்கும் வயதில் , கனடாவில் குடியேறிய பொழுதில் நண்பர் கார்த்தியுடன் ஆவேசமான டென்னிஸ் ஆட்டத்தில் ( ஒற்றயர் ஆட்டம் - எனக்கோ , நண்பருக்கோ விசேஷ டென்னிஸ்   பயிற்சி எதுவும் வாய்த்திருக்க வில்லை ) டென்னிஸ் Racquet - ஐ     உடைத்தாயிற்று 3. சில மாதங்களுக்கு முன்பு விலைகூடிய Badminton Racuqet ஒன்றை உடன் விளையாடும் நண்பரோடு விளைந்த எதிர்பாரா முட்டலில் (collission) உடைத்தாயிற்று 4. சில தினங்களுக்கு முன் Costa Rica- வின் Tamarindo   பசிபிக் கடற்கரையின் மிதமான அலைகளில் உருண்டு புரண்டு ஓடிக் களிக்கையில் ஏன் நீச்சல் கால் சட்டை கிழிந்து போயிற்று . பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்த   என் மனைவி ஏதோ Bollywood காதல் ஜோடிகளைக் கண்ணுற்ற வட இந்திய பத்திரிகையாளனை போல தாராளமாக படம் பிடித்து கொண்டாடினாள் . (புகைப்படம் கீழே )   எந்த வினைக

சிதம்பர நினைவுகள் – வாசிப்பனுபவம்

பாலச்சந்திரன் சுள்ளிக்காடு என்ற மலையாள கவியை ஒரு சினிமா மற்றும் தொலைக்காட்சி நடிகன் என்ற அளவில் மாத்திரமே அறிமுகம். எங்களூர் எழுத்தாளரான ராம் தங்கத்தின் எழுத்துக்களை பிரசரித்த வம்சி புக்ஸ் நிறுவனம் வெளியிட்டதால் இந்த நூல் எனது வாசிக்கும் பட்டியலில் சேர்ந்தது. இதற்கு முன் Paulo Coelho வின் The Alchemist மற்றும் கல்பட்டா நாராயணன்   போன்ற சிலரின் மொழி பெயர்ப்புகளையே படித்துள்ளேன் . இதனை படித்து முடிக்கையில் Florida- வின் Miami நகரத்திலிருந்து Costa Rica- வின் Liberia வை நோக்கிய விமான பயணத்தில் பறந்து கொண்டிருந்தேன்.   படிக்க படிக்க மனித வாழ்க்கையின் மகோன்னதமான சில அனுபவங்களை, நேர்மையும், தன்னிலை சறுக்கல்களை மறைக்காத உண்மை உணர்வும் மேலோங்கிய கவி நேர்த்தி மிக்க கட்டுரைகளில் கரைந்து போனேன். Dr Paul Kalanithi- யின் When Breath Becomes Air - க்கு பிறகு, ஒரு நூலை படித்து என் கண்கள் குளமாகி போகும் உணர்ச்சி மேலிட்ட மனோநிலையில் ததும்பி வழிந்தேன். வானூர்தியின் சாளரத்துக்கு பக்கத்திலமர்ந்து    சினிமா பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்த என் மனைவியை தாண்டி வெளியே பார்க்கையில், அடர்த்தியான கரு மேக

நாகர்கோயில் சுதர்சன் ஜவுளிக் கடையிலிருந்து சுரா எனும் இலக்கிய பேராண்மை

(பேராண்மை = prowess அல்லது அருந்திறம் என்ற பொருள் கொள்க)   நாகர்கோவில் மணிமேடை சந்திப்பு (Tower Junction) எனது சிறுவதிலேயே பரிச்சயமான ஒன்று . அங்குள்ள சுதர்சன் ஜவுளி கடையும் மிகப் பரிச்சயமான ஸ்தாபனம் . எனது 44 - ஆவது வயதில் எனை ஒரு புதிய தமிழிலக்கிய வாசகன் என சொல்லிக்கொள்ளக் கூச்சப்பட வைக்கும் விஷயம் , சுதர்சன் உரிமையாளர் மற்றும் தமிழ் கூறும் நல்லுலகின் இலக்கிய பேராற்றல் , நவீன படைப்பிலக்கிய மேதை , சிந்தனையாளர் காலம் சென்ற சுந்தர ராமசாமி அவர்களை தெரியாமலிருந்ததும் அவரின் படைப்புகளில் ஒன்றைக் கூட அறியாமலிருந்தும் தான் .   சுரா பற்றிய ஜெயமோகனின் பேச்சுக்களை கேட்ட பிறகு ஒரு புளியமரத்தின் கதை நாவலை வாங்கி படித்தேன் . சொல்லத்தகுந்த சிந்தனை நீட்சிகளையோ   படைப்பிலக்கியவாதியின் அனுபவத்தைக் வாசகனுக்கு கடத்தும் வித்தையையோ அந்த வாசிப்பனுபவம் எனக்கு தர வில்லை என்ற போதிலும் இது ஒரு சாதாரண , எனக்கு இது வரையிலும் பரிச்சயமான மொழி நடையையோ கதையின் களத்தை , அது நடந்த காலச்சூழலை , அதன் கதாபாத்திரங்களை மிதமிஞ்சிய சொ