Skip to main content

A farewell after 18 years, 11 months & 7 days.

 I remember vividly. It was a scorching summer afternoon in Chennai back in 2003, my friend and ex-colleague Sangeetha called me up. She just moved into TCS, a dream IT Services company for many Indian engineers, not just for the career prospects if offers but also due to its highly regarded and prestigious parent conglomerate, the Tata Group. Though TCS was a large Indian IT services firm, it was not in the limelight then as it was not a public listed company like its listed rivals like Infosys, HCL and Wipro.  Sangeetha told me that TCS is starting a new project to digitize the clinical functions and operations of a world-famous Ophthalmology Research Centre in Chennai including the patient medical records. The chosen technology platform was Microsoft .net and the solution includes the Microsoft Tablet PC interface. They are hiring Development Engineers and Lead Engineers to join the team, which sounded so lucrative to me as I was a big Microsoft admirer and have invested the initial years of career in honing my coding, designing skills on Microsoft technologies. I went through the interview process and got into TCS as a Tech Lead. I made so many friends while working through the project. Though I had few years of IT services experience by then, this was unique working and delivering to a domestic client in a client facing role.

As I wrapped up the project, the excitement, and the lucrative financial rewards of pursuing an overseas opportunity was all over my mind and it was to the extent that I cared less for the roles or technical skills required but the location of the assignment and I preferred Europe or North America. I landed up on a project with public sector – Healthcare in the UK. Though my role in the project was not anything new from what I have done before, the sheer excitement of being abroad motivated me to pursue it further. My wife and daughter joined me later in London, UK, this was their first journey abroad. We lived in a London suburb called Slough. I had the opportunity to work with multiple partners and clients including Fujitsu, British Telecom, UCLH (https://www.uclh.nhs.uk/). Though the work was unpredictable and included multiple months of waiting in anticipation (natural at any new client account in its formative years), it was the first European client facing work experience I had. Within a brief period, I got two assignments one was a sub-contract work with Fujitsu who as a primary vendor for the National Health transformation program and a contract with BT who was another vendor. My office was at the core of London city’s commercial hubs and trained and tubed (underground train service is called tube there) my way back and forth from Slough. This is the period when terror attack and London subway terminal happened, and it was in the very same route that used to take, and I escaped the attack (rush hour) due to my early morning commute habit.

My NHS assignment ended, and we briefly returned to India for a short visit post which I got another opportunity to work with Prudential UK and this time, the assignment was in a remote Scottish town of Stirling. It was about 45 mins drive away from the Glasgow airport and when we got there, there was just one hotel in the town which had no rooms available. Some TCS colleagues contacted a town resident who was also an Indian temporary foreign worker (that was how we were tagged) who worked for Wipro but for the same client. He went back to India to get married, and he magnanimously agreed to let us use his apartment for a few days until we find our own apartment. My time at Prudential was awesome, delivered some projects working closely with the clients. Prudential colleagues Maggie, Nicola became incredibly good friends. Fiona Forrest was the Project Manager from Prudential was so immensely helpful and friendly. My work their included enhancing their insurance advisor facing portal to transform the means in which advisors where compensated and some relational database migration, which I thoroughly enjoyed and most of which I single-handedly delivered. The assignment was sweet but short as Prudential was a Java shop and the scope for Microsoft engineers was limited.

After my Prudential assignment, found another opportunity to work for Boots (largest pharmacy retailer in the UK) but we had to relocate to Nottingham which was my fourth relocation within UK. Boots gave us the opportunity work on some technically complex assignments and gave us to the opportunity to work closely with Microsoft partners. My super-star wife took care of my toddler daughter and the household stuff meticulously so that I could remain focussed on work. After delivering a couple of projects, Boots chose another Technology Services company as their vendor and the large TCS team that we had assembled had to be dispersed. My boss at that time Veera (able delivery leader from whom I learned a lot), was assigned to new account in Ontario, Canada and he was also forming a new team and he asked me to join him there. Though I dreamt of going to America some day, I thought Canada will take a me a step closer. Started my visa process while I was still at Nottingham and then wrapped our Nottingham life and moved back to India. My brother got married and I took a brief sabbatical (leave) and focussed on my health (I had to undergo a minor surgical procedure) and my brother’s wedding. Then before I moved to Canada, I had to report to TCS India for few weeks and that was my second and the final offshore assignment in my 18 years long career in TCS.

October 2007, at the onset of autumn season in Ontario, was when we first came to Canada. From the airport, I was dropped at a budget hotel in Markham, the city where my client’s office was. Joined my first Client in Canada, The Nielsen Company(at that time it was called so, now it’s split into multiple entities), the world-leader in Retail and media measurements, research analytics, had a Canadian product development team who had developed a product portfolio (multiple applications of the same product family) with rich feature sets like their own relational datastore and a database drivers etc. The assignment turned out be one of the longest client assignments that I had in TCS, and I ended up spending 7 years in the account. I had an opportunity to work with some extra ordinary talents both at the TCS side and at the client side. In the middle of the assignment my boss Veera went on to take up a larger role within the account, handing over the reign to me. I had multiple promotions professionally and established as a known figure within the leadership team’s purview. During my tenure at Nielsen was when personally we felt that Canada was offering the best of what Europe had to offer and the weather pattern of North America, a multi-cultural social fabric to raise and grow our family and the long-term avenues to even bring our parents here. We decided to apply and become Permanent residents in Canada and bought our first home in Markham, Ontario, which was 15 mins drive away from Nielsen’s campus in Markham. The mindset was that my Nielsen assignment was indefinite. One thing that struck me was that I foresaw that the growth potential and the longevity of the assignment were uncertain. I thought at some point I will be forced to either relocate to the USA or look for other assignments within Canada. Instead of waiting for a forced exit, I thought I should proactively make an exit path and pursue some other assignment in Canada within TCS’s financial services group. My then boss Mr. Badrinath was planning to move out of Nielsen, and I took his help to find a way out. My friend Vipin Nikam, who was a very mature and a no-nonsense colleague, helped me find an opportunity within the Banking space in TCS, Canada.

The client was one of Canada’s largest banks, CIBC. They were looking for some one to drive a Technology Transformation program for the bank. The program which was started a while ago was not progressing well. I learned many such programs face execution hurdles as they were enterprise-wide programs but sponsored and executed by one group within the bank. I was asked to come to the CIBC’s office at downtown Toronto for an interview. The room booked for the interview was at the 12th floor of the towering building, overlooking the ever-active Dundas Square. I liked the environment and ambience. But the shocker was that the interview panel had 3 Senior members of CIBC leadership team which I did not anticipate, as I was told that the interview was with a Sr Director. But it was a good discussion and they wanted to have a larger panel as there were multiple predecessors who were donning that role, but none were successful, which scared me and invoked self-doubt and apprehension on my abilities. I was selected for that role except that I had to work out of their mid-town office and not the fancy downtown building. I had to drive for a good 40 mins each way to get to the office and parking was expensive. I was introduced to all the program stakeholders and while everyone wished me success and none of them failed to caution me about the awful state the program was in and my success in program will be nothing short of a miracle. Of course, with a lot of sleepless nights, nervously done leadership presentations and a lot of demanding work, I was able to turn that program around and make very good headway to impress the leadership team. Before I even finished delivering the program, I was assigned to help with another large program that the bank has undertaken. I found this as a huge acknowledgement and pat on the back from the clients for my work thus far. But a huge slap on my back was the TCS performance review and ratings I was given was not the best. TCS followed a comparative performance ranking model, and this indicated that there were high and better performing peers in my cadre. The program’s scale and size were huge which did not scare me as I had the background of dealing with NHS program in the UK. This program’s mandate was to deliver an innovative technology platform for forty-one different lines of businesses within the bank. The bank by that time realized that to run such large programs that cut across the enterprise, they need to build a team and capability. A modern technology group was formed, and I was rolled into that group. I made more friends within CIBC than from TCS.

My role was hugely successful and gave the necessary limelight within CIBC and within TCS Banking group. Soon after delivering the program, I was offered the Client Engagement Manager role to manage Delivery and Sales for CIBC’s Wealth Management group. I was able to successfully establish myself there and soon after that my portfolio grew larger, and I was asked to also lead Digital and Contact Ctr technology groups with CIBC. My portfolio suddenly grew over 200+ members. I was recognized for my performance several times by both the clients and the TCS leadership. I ended up staying with TCS – CIBC team for more than 8 years. But within the organizational hierarchy, I was in the same position that I was 8 years ago. My growth not only was stagnant by may remain stagnant for the visible future. TCS as an organization was full of opportunities, I never felt that the opportunities were lacking. I always thought there was something wrong in the way that I was navigating my career within the organization. But I questioned myself that shouldn’t the organization guide me and handhold me? I never found answers and gradually I made up my mind to take the extremely hard but “what I thought was right” decision. It was not about my long association with the company that made my decision harder, but it was the fact that all that I had materially were accumulated during my career in TCS. My younger brother, cousins had their career blooming in TCS. It felt like it is a firm that we were all indebted too. So, what should I do, when I am at the crossroads of life, we all know what we want and which path we want to take? All we need is a logical or political justification for it, don't we? I found it in this famous verse from Thiruvalluvar.

துன்பம் உறவரினும் செய்க துணிவாற்றி
இன்பம் பயக்கும் வினை

Meaning: Though it should cause increasing sorrow (at the outset), do with firmness the act that yield bliss (in the end)







Thus, after 18 years, 11 months, 7 days, I ended my tenure with TCS, leaving a long and mutually rewarding association with one of the greatest Indian Tech success stories with a career stint that was full of learnings, rich experiences, life-long friendships, and amazing mentors. What remained in my mind was simply an extraordinary sense of gratitude which I will hold through the remainder of this life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

நீந்திக் கிழித்தல்

  ஏன் எந்த விளையாட்டு உபகரணமும் என் கையாடலில் உடைந்து அல்லது கிழிந்து போகின்றன ?   1. சிறு வயதில் , சுசீந்திரம் கிராம பஞ்சாயத்து அலுவலக வளாகத்தில் கிரிக்கெட் bat உடைந்து போயிற்று 2. கிட்டத்தட்ட நாற்பதை நெருங்கும் வயதில் , கனடாவில் குடியேறிய பொழுதில் நண்பர் கார்த்தியுடன் ஆவேசமான டென்னிஸ் ஆட்டத்தில் ( ஒற்றயர் ஆட்டம் - எனக்கோ , நண்பருக்கோ விசேஷ டென்னிஸ்   பயிற்சி எதுவும் வாய்த்திருக்க வில்லை ) டென்னிஸ் Racquet - ஐ     உடைத்தாயிற்று 3. சில மாதங்களுக்கு முன்பு விலைகூடிய Badminton Racuqet ஒன்றை உடன் விளையாடும் நண்பரோடு விளைந்த எதிர்பாரா முட்டலில் (collission) உடைத்தாயிற்று 4. சில தினங்களுக்கு முன் Costa Rica- வின் Tamarindo   பசிபிக் கடற்கரையின் மிதமான அலைகளில் உருண்டு புரண்டு ஓடிக் களிக்கையில் ஏன் நீச்சல் கால் சட்டை கிழிந்து போயிற்று . பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்த   என் மனைவி ஏதோ Bollywood காதல் ஜோடிகளைக் கண்ணுற்ற வட இந்திய பத்திரிகையாளனை போல தாராளமாக படம் பிடித்து கொண்டாடினாள் . (புகைப்படம் கீழே )   எந்த வினைக

சிதம்பர நினைவுகள் – வாசிப்பனுபவம்

பாலச்சந்திரன் சுள்ளிக்காடு என்ற மலையாள கவியை ஒரு சினிமா மற்றும் தொலைக்காட்சி நடிகன் என்ற அளவில் மாத்திரமே அறிமுகம். எங்களூர் எழுத்தாளரான ராம் தங்கத்தின் எழுத்துக்களை பிரசரித்த வம்சி புக்ஸ் நிறுவனம் வெளியிட்டதால் இந்த நூல் எனது வாசிக்கும் பட்டியலில் சேர்ந்தது. இதற்கு முன் Paulo Coelho வின் The Alchemist மற்றும் கல்பட்டா நாராயணன்   போன்ற சிலரின் மொழி பெயர்ப்புகளையே படித்துள்ளேன் . இதனை படித்து முடிக்கையில் Florida- வின் Miami நகரத்திலிருந்து Costa Rica- வின் Liberia வை நோக்கிய விமான பயணத்தில் பறந்து கொண்டிருந்தேன்.   படிக்க படிக்க மனித வாழ்க்கையின் மகோன்னதமான சில அனுபவங்களை, நேர்மையும், தன்னிலை சறுக்கல்களை மறைக்காத உண்மை உணர்வும் மேலோங்கிய கவி நேர்த்தி மிக்க கட்டுரைகளில் கரைந்து போனேன். Dr Paul Kalanithi- யின் When Breath Becomes Air - க்கு பிறகு, ஒரு நூலை படித்து என் கண்கள் குளமாகி போகும் உணர்ச்சி மேலிட்ட மனோநிலையில் ததும்பி வழிந்தேன். வானூர்தியின் சாளரத்துக்கு பக்கத்திலமர்ந்து    சினிமா பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்த என் மனைவியை தாண்டி வெளியே பார்க்கையில், அடர்த்தியான கரு மேக

நாகர்கோயில் சுதர்சன் ஜவுளிக் கடையிலிருந்து சுரா எனும் இலக்கிய பேராண்மை

(பேராண்மை = prowess அல்லது அருந்திறம் என்ற பொருள் கொள்க)   நாகர்கோவில் மணிமேடை சந்திப்பு (Tower Junction) எனது சிறுவதிலேயே பரிச்சயமான ஒன்று . அங்குள்ள சுதர்சன் ஜவுளி கடையும் மிகப் பரிச்சயமான ஸ்தாபனம் . எனது 44 - ஆவது வயதில் எனை ஒரு புதிய தமிழிலக்கிய வாசகன் என சொல்லிக்கொள்ளக் கூச்சப்பட வைக்கும் விஷயம் , சுதர்சன் உரிமையாளர் மற்றும் தமிழ் கூறும் நல்லுலகின் இலக்கிய பேராற்றல் , நவீன படைப்பிலக்கிய மேதை , சிந்தனையாளர் காலம் சென்ற சுந்தர ராமசாமி அவர்களை தெரியாமலிருந்ததும் அவரின் படைப்புகளில் ஒன்றைக் கூட அறியாமலிருந்தும் தான் .   சுரா பற்றிய ஜெயமோகனின் பேச்சுக்களை கேட்ட பிறகு ஒரு புளியமரத்தின் கதை நாவலை வாங்கி படித்தேன் . சொல்லத்தகுந்த சிந்தனை நீட்சிகளையோ   படைப்பிலக்கியவாதியின் அனுபவத்தைக் வாசகனுக்கு கடத்தும் வித்தையையோ அந்த வாசிப்பனுபவம் எனக்கு தர வில்லை என்ற போதிலும் இது ஒரு சாதாரண , எனக்கு இது வரையிலும் பரிச்சயமான மொழி நடையையோ கதையின் களத்தை , அது நடந்த காலச்சூழலை , அதன் கதாபாத்திரங்களை மிதமிஞ்சிய சொ